colour stories : Heather Spriggs

Hello! Oh, I am so thrilled about today's post as it is the first in a brand new column for 2013... yay!

I've wanted to do a guest post series for such a long time now and last autumn I began pondering the idea of 'Colour Stories' where I would invite some lovely folk from our community to talk a wee bit about what colour means to them. Of everyone I have spoken to about it they have all responded with such wonderful enthusiasm for the idea. So with so much encouragement (thank you my friends!) I am at last getting this colourful feature underway... double yay!

So yes, the first 'Colour Story' is here and it is such an honour to welcome the fabulous Heather Spriggs to tell us what white means to her and why she chose it as the main theme for the annual New Year edition of Gatherings magazine...


"Thank you Emma for the honor of starting your new series and sharing my musings on white...

Winter White Issue of Gatherings Magazine

After an overly color-saturated and stimulating holiday season, white offers my weary senses a visual respite. Just like snow, nature’s own blanket and muffler, white is a resting place and covering. It provides a fresh start. In fact, with colorful walls throughout my home, my office is the only room I painted white. These walls offer not only a calming effect, but a clean slate. White is where my ideas are born.

So, when I decided to offer an annual White Issue of Gatherings Magazine (my quarterly digital lifestyle publication), it only seemed appropriate to launch at the New Year.

Winter White Issue of Gatherings Magazine

This year, I coined the slogan for the White Issue, 'Start the New Year off White', meaning, invite white into your home, mind, heart and activities as a way to allow the creative juices to rest and recharge. This second annual White Issue of Gatherings, provides inspiration to do just that. From craft projects in white, to an office makeover, and even recipes, my hope is that this White Issue becomes a blanket of calm after a season of over stimulation.

Winter White Issue of Gatherings Magazine

White is my visual cue to inhale deeply and pause.

And you? What does white offer you?

Heather
Artist, Stylist, Editor/Creator of Gatherings Magazine
For more info follow Gatherings on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!

Winter White Issue of Gatherings Magazine

Thank you so much Heather, such a lovely insight into your inspiration for the White Issue of Gatherings Magazine... and this year's issue is bigger and better than ever, a must read if you haven't already!

When it comes to white I think I am very much like Heather. It is a very calming yet refreshing. colour that always comes to mind in the New Year. A fresh start or a blank canvas. My brand new notebook for the year just waiting to be filled with all sorts of possibilities. For me it is also optimistic and full of creative potential!

Heather and I would love to know your thoughts on white too, so please do leave us a wee comment below... :)

Emma, x

10 comments :

  1. White may be the plainest of colours but to me in the right setting white can be utterly luxurious!
    A four poster bed with white muslin is always at the top of my wishlist x

    teal is my fav colour..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare,
      You're right, white can sometimes feel plain and uninteresting but when you start to add beautiful light, subtle variations and interesting textures it is easy to create beauty... especially with interior decorating. I love your wish for white muslin curtains on a four poster bed... and can imagine it with slightly crumpled white linen sheets and a vintage morrocan wedding blanket. Luxury indeed!
      Thank you... :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. I just finished "The White Issue".
    What a grand magazine !
    While I love the warmness of a honey caramel color...
    I found myself wanting a soothing white room !
    This magazine is so well written...
    I enjoyed every drop of it !
    Thanks for sharing.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great to hear Rose, I shall pass on your lovely comments to Heather... Thank you! xx

      Delete
  3. I too am a big fan of white. I love to buy old tables, chairs, baskets etc. with interesting shapes then paint them all white. A white lace table runner on top with a fuchsia coloured piece of glass on top of that and I'm in heaven visually speaking!

    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lind, I too love old furniture peices reworked in white... it is such a great way to highlight their shape, form and texture as you said.
      Your vision of white lace with fuchsia sounds inspiring, have you created that already?
      xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Emma, I've converted a brown cane dressing table by painting it white (of course) after chopping about 6 inches off the legs. It's now a sewing desk. I have a lovely large round fuchsia glass paperweight, you know the kind with air bubbles in them and I'm just scouring the charity shops for a piece of vintage lace to put on the table with the p'weight.

    As they say 2 out of 3 ain't bad. When I get a piece I'll photograph it and send you the link.

    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. White can be many good things. But. As a mother I often see white as unattainable. It's going to get dirty! It's going to be filled. How long can it last? I like clean, open surfaces around my workspace too, but using dark colors gives me a sense of comfort and permanence. So, that might be weird...

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

I would love for you to join in the discussion and share your opinions but please do your utmost to keep all comments polite and constructive. Please do not use this comments section as a way of self promotion, such comments will be considered as spam and will not be published.

I shall do my best to answer any questions when I am able but if you have any urgent enquiries please do email me at - emmallamb [at] gmail [dot] com

Wishing you a fabulous day!
Emma, x